Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Operation: Lactation Initiation, day one.

First, my disclaimer: the "plan" I am following for Lactation Initiation is one I have come up with for myself after doing my own personal research (comprised of reading books, talking to certified Lactation Consultants, talking to women who have successfully improved their lactation, and searching the web). My posting about it here is in no way, shape or form meant as an endorsement of any product or plan.  Any information provided here is for entertainment only -- anyone considering doing this on their own should consult their own physician.  This is NOT a recommendation of any sort.  Talk to your own professional care provider before doing anything like this at home.  Got it?  Good.

And now, without further ado . . . Operation: Lactation Initiation has BEGUN!!!

Last week, I ordered some fenugreek -- after having done the above-mentioned research, and a whole lotta thinking and praying and weighing the many options.  Fenugreek, as it turns out, has a number of other possible benefits, including protection against hyperglycemia, aiding with digestion, and preventing hyperlipidemia.  None of which are FDA-approved, so you didn't hear it from me.  I took my first dose about 24 hours ago.  So far, I don't feel any different . . . just tired, but that is more likely from the semi-chaotic day I just had at work.  :)

My plan is to take the fenugreek for about a week or so, and then start pumping and see if anything happens.  I might start pumping sooner if I get too impatient.  I don't know.  This isn't an exact science.  It's a whole lotta little steps and waiting and seeing what happens.

So!  That's where we're at right now.

Incidentally, our social worker said we can call or email her anytime for updates.  She said she can tell us how many times, if any, our portfolio has been looked at.  So far, I've refrained; I don't think I want to hear either way (that it's been looked at lots of times but no one has chosen us yet, or that it hasn't been looked at at all).  I have faith that everything will work out as it's meant to work out.  I haven't had any more impatience attacks like I did the other day, THANKFULLY!!

Speaking of being tired, I really am.  I've been fighting off this cold for about a week now, and was wondering the other day why it feels like it's kicking my butt so badly when I've only had it for about a week -- and then I realized that seasonal allergies had been attacking me for about a month before that, and that started in just about the time I was recovering from having my gallbladder removed.  So no wonder I feel a little run down, I've had a lot going on lately!  I'm just thankful it's been several little things and not one big thing . . . okay, now I'm rambling -- and even worse, I'm rambling about health, which can only mean one thing: time for me to sign off!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, Tashia, I never knew about this lacatation initiation for non-pregnant women! I am SO impressed! I am so happy you are trying this -- it is SO cool!!!! Happy Lactation Initiation!!!

    ReplyDelete