Monday, October 1, 2012

"Be assured and understand that the trial and proving of your faith bring out endurance and steadfastness and patience." James 1: 3

You know what?  Being a potential adoptive family, waiting for The Phone Call to come in during the months leading up to a presidential election, is . . . well, my inclination is to say "it sucks", but that's not exactly true.  It's teaching me not to jump every time the phone rings, which is several times a day.  I don't drop everything and race to the phone as soon as it rings to see who is calling, because I know it's most likely some non-adoption-related message waiting for me.  I'm more annoyed than anything, but that's nothing new . . . I don't like using the phone.  I'm guessing that most people reading this know that about me already, heh heh heh, but it's true.  Voicemail is my BFF, because I hardly ever answer the phone.

ANYWAY . . .

Operation Lactation Initiation continues!!  I've been taking fenugreek three times a day for about a week now, and then today I started pumping.  While I was trying to figure out how to put the electric breastpump together, I discovered that it has a manual pump attachment, too.  Hey, give me a break, I'm new to this!!  :) I decided that would be a good way to get started . . . until I can work myself up to hooking "the girls" up to a milking machine.  I'll get there, I know, because I can only stand about 2-3 minutes of manual pumping before my hands tire out (that much I do remember from back in the day), but for these first few days or so, I figure I'll just keep doing it manually, until I get used to it again.

In case you're wondering, no, I'm not having any results yet.  I'm not expecting to, yet.  Everything I've read says it will take time to start actually producing milk.  It is a bit discouraging already, pumping and pumping and pumping and getting absolutely nothing.

I do hope to get on a more regular schedule, but for now I'm just pumping for a few minutes whenever I feel like it.  Which has been twice so far today.  I try to make sure I'm as relaxed as I can possibly be, in a nice, quiet room, and totally clear my mind of everything but making my body produce nourishment for an as-of-yet-unknown new baby human.  Which I know will come easier in time as well, because mostly right now I'm finding myself spending most of my time trying to get comfortable.  There are some unique challenges to pumping when you're not yet lactating.  There's a difference between a deflated balloon and one full of water.  I'll leave it at that.

So, this is my plan . . . continue taking fenugreek, continue keeping in mind that I'm hoping to be lactating soon and thus avoiding any potential harmful substances (alcohol, medications, etc.) as much as I can, and continue pumping -- manually for now, but building up to longer sessions with the electric pump.

And checking voicemail a few times a day, just in case one of those calls isn't some political party or another . .  :)

Psalm 25:4-5 
Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long

2 Thessalonians 3:5 
May the Lord direct your hearts into God's love and Christ's perseverance.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, and, I don't like being on the phone either.

    ReplyDelete