Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Hmm-mm-mm-mm...


Did you know that hummingbirds are LOUD?

They are. I promise.  I know this personally.

I mean, they're not, like, "Oh my gosh, my ears are bleeding!" loud. They're more like, if you're sitting on your deck and they're half a deck below you at a feeder, you could hear them. And at first, if you've never heard one before, you might be like, What the heck is that?! It almost sounds like a really loud mosquito, but the pitch is off... it's actually more like a light saber, but... and then you might see the bird itself fly by and then you'd be like ohhhhhh, that's what it was!  Damn, that little thing makes a lot of noise!

Or you might not.

It's kinda handy if you're sitting outside relaxing in the vicinity of the aforementioned feeder, though.  As in, on the same level as the aforementioned feeder, and not half a level above it.  That way, you just have to listen for the humming and then look over at the feeder to see the tiny little helicopter bird, instead of staring at the feeder itself.

Yep.  It's only Tuesday and it's been a loooooong week already.  The hubby is out of town, out of state, out of his mind (ha ha, just kidding) chaperoning the church youth mission trip.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, I do NOT make a good single lady.  I don't like being responsible for everything.  I don't like making decisions.  I'm kinda looking around for the adultier adult...ha ha ha.  No, it's all good. It's going fine.  The house is still standing, the dog hasn't run away, and I've been getting some yard work done.  

And I've watched some hummingbirds :) 

I can't believe we've lived here almost, what, 8 months already?!  Going into the 8th month.  I definitely like summer out here better than winter.  It's weird, though, going back to the boy's place now.  (Which I still have to do because the horses are still there.)  He has a roommate now, so the house inside looks and feels even less like the home it was when we lived there.  Which I'm not complaining about -- that's the goal, right?  It's not my home anymore, so it shouldn't look and feel like my home anymore.  

IDK.  I mean, I do love where we live now, but sometimes I miss living on the little farm, too.  I miss my horses.  I miss the cats.  (This is NOT helped at all by the fact that, shortly after we moved, my cat Bo disappeared and hasn't been seen since.  I know, I know; he was a farm cat, it happens.  Plus, he had been diagnosed with feline leukemia a few years ago.  But he was my Bocephus kitten and I miss him, even if I was going to let him stay at the boy's place.)  I don't mean to sound like I'm sorry we moved, because I'm definitely not!  I think I just needed some quality time to make this place more our own, which I definitely got this weekend while working in the gardens.  Getting to know the land better.  Well, the landscaping, anyway.  I'm tempted to put my super-water-resistant wader boots on and go out into the back 4 again, like we did last winter, and see what the marshland looks like now in full bloom.  

Oh! The other night I was laying in bed, playing on my phone before falling asleep, and I heard an owl hoot!  It was SO FREAKING COOL!!  It sounded like it was right in my backyard.  I didn't get my glasses on fast enough to see where it was, but man, that was awesome.  I hadn't seen any owls since this winter, so it was nice to hear it.  I haven't seen any eagles for a while, either.  I need to find a way to identify birds by their sounds.  There's probably an app or at least a website for that.  It actually makes me want to go to the MN Zoo and hit up the local animal exhibits again.  I remember listening to the owls there when we were kids.  They sounded so cool, I never imagined I'd get to hear them in my own backyard, from my own bedroom window.  Elementary-school-aged me would have LOVED to have known that!

Elementary-school-aged me would have LOVED to have known a LOT about my life right now, most definitely.  

But, I digress.  Speaking of my bedroom window, it's just about time for me to go to bed.  Even though my hubby is out doing wonderful things God's name, I'm stuck here at home doing regular things in God's name.  Ha, ha.  Which means I still have to work.  Luckily, I get to work from home most of this week, including tomorrow.  So! I'm gonna sign off and get to bed.  Soon.  Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment