Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Happy Friday! Wait, what?

Such a creature of habit, I am. 

I usually go to my parents' on Thursdays after work.  
This week, I went on Monday after work.
Every day since Tuesday has, therefore, felt like it should be Friday.  

Hmmmm, maybe that's why I'm having such a good week.  I've subconsciously tricked myself into thinking every day is Friday, at least for a few seconds.  

It's a theory, anyway.  

Have I mentioned yet that there are a lot of deer where we live?  Like, a LOT of deer.  It's like that movie, Field of Dreams.  "If you build it, they will come..."  Someone named the town Deer Park, and allllllll the deer decided it'd be a nice place to hang out.  😆

Honestly, I've seen more deer in the last 6 months than I had in the entire 40-some years prior to that.  And the vast majority of them have been alive, much to my delight.  It's pretty cool.  The other morning I rolled out of bed (almost literally) actually kind of quickly because my bladder sort of functions inversely to the Maverick gas gauge: it'll seem fine, and fine, and fine, and then all of a sudden, BAM!, you (or, in both cases, I) better make alternate plans like now because it's either about to be really full or really empty, respectively.  So I sort of jumped up (yeah, right...I sat up a little faster than usual) and when I did, I saw a flash of tan and white go by my bedroom window.  I gracefully and smoothly placed my glasses delicately on my face (yeah, right...I fumbled to grab them from the bedside table and pushed them on my sleepy face on the second or third try as usual) and looked outside, and there was a deer standing in the yard, looking up at my window and flipping her (?) little tail at me like, WTF is going on up there?!  So what did I do? I layed (lied?) back down to see if it would come back by the window again.  

Yeah.  It did not.  It precariously walked away, flipping it's tail and glancing back at the house as if it had just seen a crazy person, or something.  Pfffft. Fine with me, I had to empty my bladder anyway.

(This is probably why I don't, or shouldn't, hunt. I would try to talk to the deer.  I would whisper, "OK, come over here, just a little more, no! Wait!  Come back!!"   It wouldn't go well.)  (I mean, it would go well for the deer...)

When I got back to my bed, though, there were two more deer in another part of the yard.  That was pretty cool.  And then?  Later that same day? (At least I think it was the same day...they are all blending together now, and there have only been three of them! And I know it wasn't today so technically there are only two of them!!) I was out in the yard with Max. This was on the super hot day, so it must've been yesterday. Anyway, we were doing the Perimeter Stroll. I was taking pics of plants to upload to the plant identifier app, and he was sniffing literally everything, as he does.  For once, I was ahead of him, and I got to the corner and heard a whoosh sound in the leaves followed by little hoofbeats running away, and I looked up and there had been a deer just on the other side of the trees from where we were -- maybe 20-25 feet away. Maxwell House didn't even notice, bless his little heart.

Yep, seeing deer is awesome. As long as they're not sliding into the side of my car.

Another amazing wonderful thing I discovered out here very recently is fireflies. Oh my gosh!  This must've been Monday night.  Now, usually I'm asleep by the time it's dark out (don't judge, I get up early in the morning! Not as early as my hubby, but still early, and a girl needs her beauty sleep!) but on this particular occasion, I had to, well, I had to empty my bladder.  (Yes, I do that a lot.  No, I'm not having urinary problems, I just drink a lot of water, okay?  I've cut way back on the diet Dew and am drinking more ice water instead.)  When I put on my glasses so I could actually see, what I saw out the window was just breath-taking.  It was literally sparkling outside with fireflies!  When I got back to bed, I kept my glasses on for a while -- I am quite literally blind as a bat without them -- just so I could watch the light show.  I tried to decide if I liked "fireflies" or "lightning bugs" better, and I decided I don't like either term, because flies are ewww and bugs are Volkswagens.  Actually, it just occurred to me now that Bugs are Volkswagens (shhhhh, don't tell my hubby or my Dad that it just occurred to me NOW) but still.  I can't think of a better name for them, so I guess I'll go with fireflies.  

The things you miss out on, living in the city.

I think that's all I've got for now.  I'm actually kind of tired today.  This morning I got up early, even though I was working from home, and went to White Bear Lake for a blood draw and a semi-doctor appointment. It wasn't a real doctor's appointment, but I still had to get weighed and vitaled and I got my 2nd Hep A vaccine, too.  Then I came home and worked from home, but it's been a gloomy, stormy day.  Storms give me headaches, now, so I've had one of those off and on all day, plus something I ate (I think it was either too much sugar yesterday, or the apple juice I drank this morning after having my labs drawn at the doctor...) disagreed with me. Whatever, you don't want to hear about that, so I'm gonna be like a tree and leaf.  TTYL!

No comments:

Post a Comment