Monday, June 20, 2022

Hello, sunshine...

One amusing side effect of being me is having bizarre, recurring dreams.  Once upon a time, the recurrenceness (if that's not a word, it should be) of them bothered me to what seemed like no end, but now I find it amusing. After all, it's not like they're prophetic, or anything; just the by-products of my goofy mind.

For instance, every so often I have dreams about going back to work at previous jobs.  Not every previous job, just specific jobs.  Namely the hospital, or Wards. I have had a dream or two about going back to work at the humane society, but usually it's the hospital or Wards.  Sometimes they merge together -- one of the last times I had that particular dream, the hospital was laid out just like Wards (like with the clothes racks and everything, and the cashier station was the nurses' station. It was too weird.).  Thankfully that was too bizarre to be realistic, obviously.  But some of them are realistic enough that I wake up feeling bad because I forgot to get room 1101 a new pitcher of water before I woke up...but wait a minute, where the heck would room 1101 even be?!? There was no such room 1101 when I worked there.

That's usually what the hospital dreams are like. I show up for report (usually late, which stresses me out greatly) and I can't find my favorite report sheets so I grab whatever I can find, but by then report is over and I'm running around trying to find out what my assignment is while everyone else is going out and starting their first set of vitals and assessments and meds and such, and I'm completely lost because I'm at the new hospital and I've never been there before and I don't know where anything is and my password isn't working and it's not day shift so no one is around to reset my password.  And I don't know anyone because I'm not a regular there anymore, I'm just a PRN.  Then, once I get my assignment, I don't know where any of the rooms are because the numbers don't make sense to me and I can't find the vitals on a sticks, and other people are asking for help so I'm helping them and the next thing I know it's meal time (so it must be PM shift, lol) and I haven't laid eyes on a single one of my patients.  That's usually when I either wake up, or my dream changes, although sometimes at that point in the dream I'll go down to the ER instead.  Which is even more of a clusterfudge because it's set up like a maze, literally.  

But then, when I end up going back to Wards, it's a clusterfudge, too.  But my password at least works there (WTF?!), I just can't remember which menu to go to for refunds or exchanges. And then when I get a quick break from ringing up customers and I look at the schedule, I get annoyed because the manager has me scheduled for daytime hours, and I can't possibly work daytime hours because I have my day job as a nurse, and I specifically told her I wasn't available during the day! 

Yep.  Dreams are can be fun.  

OK, so, I know I told you about the deer and the fireflies, but did I mention the hummingbirds?!  Oh em gee!! I had never seen a live hummingbird (well, any hummingbird, really) in real life until a few years ago, at our old place. I thought it was super cool and kind of instantly felt bad because I didn't have a hummingbird feeder.  So, my dearest darlingest son got me a hummingbird feeder that Mother's Day. And I never saw another hummingbird out there again.  :(  

Earlier this spring, we were working down in the basement (or outside in the back yard or some combination of the two, I don't remember) and you can probably imagine my excitement when I saw a hummingbird back there! I hadn't put up my hummingbird feeder yet, but that very day you better believe I did.  And it wasn't long before I saw an actual hummingbird actually using my feeder.  Which I still just think is the freaking coolest thing ever!  I never realized I liked birds so much, but man, I could sit down there and just watch them at the feeder (I have another feeder, one with bird seed etc. in it) for a long time. If it wasn't a construction zone down there, still.  Although, last week I did bring a couple of the chairs that were still on the deck at the boy's house over and put them down there, so theoretically I can sit down there now and watch the bird feeders and the back yard...but now I'm out of bird seed and also need to refill the hummingbird feeder... 

Anyway, our basement is almost finished and it's going to be awesome!!  Well, I mean, it was finished before, but it was one big room and now it's divided into one big room with a couple of medium-sized rooms.  And instead of the walls being dark purplish-brownish, they are a light, cheery, bright yellowish color.  It just needs new carpet. The carpet that was down there didn't look that bad, but man, once the hubby started pulling it up...I don't think there's a clean spot on it (the previous owners had cats, and I think a dog at one point, too).  Yecch!  So, nope, not going to try to save the carpet.  I tell you what, though, it is nice and cool down in that basement...might need to relocate my office once we get that bad boy finished...at least for the summer :)

Speaking of work, lunch break is over, I should get back to it. TTFN!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment