Sunday, September 25, 2022

And so this is Christmas, and what have you done?

 

PSYCH! Happy April Fools! It's not Christmas, it's only September! 

...and I've been a most neglectful blogger.  "Neglectful" doesn't feel like the right word, but I'm going with it for now.  

September is my happy month: the month of my birth!  For 21 years it was My Month and mine alone.  And then, on my 22nd birthday, I did a crazy silly* thing: I got married, to my one true love, my soul mate, the man with whom I still want to spend the rest of my life, my best friend and (then future-)father of my child. Whose birthday is the very same day as mine.  Yep, in case you didn't already know, you read that correctly: my hubby and I were born on the very same day, in the very same year, and even in the very same city.  So of course we had to get married on that day!  The birthaversary. I've probably written about it before.  (*Just to clarify: the crazy silly part is that we got married on our birthdays, which means we celebrate EVERYTHING on the one day, and that's it.  If I had to go back and do it all over again, I would still do that, but sometimes my inner child throws a hissy fit because my birthday isn't a day all about ME anymore.  That's the "silly" part.  No matter how old I get, my inner child can still be a bratty, stereotypical youngest sibling sometimes.)

This year, we spent our birthaversary camping in the woods in northeastern Wisconsin with our dog.  We had our camper, but didn't have electricity or water hook-ups. We had limited running water (the camper has a solar panel but we basically only use that to try to keep the battery from dying so we can keep the fridge running) and very spotty cell phone service. The weather was just about perfect and we had a lakeside campsite, and no deadlines to meet or places to be.  Perfecto!  Couldn't have asked for a better time, even though I slept like crap every single night.  I'm getting teary-eyed thinking about it right now.  The relaxing fun parts, not the sleeping like crap parts.  I'd actually forgotten about that until just now.  That, and the fact that we didn't have quite enough sunlight to actually keep the battery charged, so we weren't actually able to shower like we'd planned...lol.  

And so I learned that my personal threshold for days I can go without showering is 4.  I don't know if my hubby would agree with me, I didn't ask him, but for my own personal comfort and ability to tolerate myself, it's 4.  😇  Granted, the temperature was under about 85*F for three of those days, and the humidity was also, I don't know the exact reading, but it wasn't horrendous for three of those days, so that number would change depending on the weather.  This wasn't planned; see, with the camper, and the solar panel keeping the battery charged, we should have been able to use the hot water heater and the shower and take "camper showers" for lack of a better term -- not full, luxurious showers like you'd take at home, of course, but a sufficient and refreshing cleansing of one's entire body (including scalp) with soap and as little hot water as possible.  However, our campsite had just enough shade that the solar panel didn't get quite as much direct sunlight as it needed, and the battery died about halfway through our stay.  Have you ever tried to take a shower with cold water?  I'm pretty sure everyone has at some point, for some reason or another.  If you haven't, count your blessings!  It's not fun. It's not refreshing. It's at least cleansing, marginally, but it's not something most people would choose unless absolutely necessary.  And in this case, it was not absolutely necessary.  For the sake of this story, there were other ways to charge up the camper battery so we could keep the fridge running -- by hooking the camper back up to the truck and running it for a while. Not ideal, because who wants to sit next to a running vehicle at their relaxing campsite? And who wants to just let their truck sit there and idle, knowing how much gasoline costs? Anyway, the moral of the story, kids, is that we really liked the campground except that the campsite was too shady. But that wasn't even the end of the world.  We had some food in the freezer that thawed, but it was almost the end of our trip anyway, and it wasn't a big deal.  The end.

But the shower I took after we got home and got everything unpacked was probably The Best Shower I have ever had in my entire life...oh, my, lanta!!  So nice. 

And now, in what seems like a few blinks of the eye, September is almost over.  The Minnesota State Fair has come and gone. It's officially autumn. The leaves are changing colors and falling off the trees. I'm pretty sure the hummingbirds have migrated away, the amount of feed in the feeder hasn't changed in over a week now and I should probably take it down before it starts to ferment.  The camper has been winterized and is packed away for the season (well, technically it's been un-packed away temporarily, so the hubby can put siding up on the new addition to the pole barn where the camper will live when it's not being used, but for all intents and purposes, it's packed away for the season).  

Speaking of packing and un-packing, can you believe we've lived here almost a year already?!  I was trying to figure out when exactly our offer on this place was officially accepted. I purposely didn't write about it on social media or in here, which has made figuring that out a bit more difficult for me, ha ha.  I mean, I could just look at the paperwork, because I know exactly where it is, but that would be too easy.  I'd rather stumble across it in a FB post or a blog entry so I can remember the emotions I was feeling at the time.  Or...perhaps I don't want to remember the emotions I was feeling at the time!  😁

It's funny, how many times we'll be driving somewhere and I'll randomly think, 'Hey, we looked at a house that was down this road!'.  We looked at a lot of houses last summer.  

But, I digress.  There actually was a FB post that came up in my "Memories" today that made me think the acceptance date is coming up very soon.  It was one year ago today, and I'd written, "Remind me to ask our realtor if we can invent a Buyer Anxiety Clause stating that the buyer has severe anxiety and needs to know ASAP if the seller is going to accept the fricking offer or not...#PrayingTheThirdTimesTheCharm".  I think, if memory serves (which is iffy), this was the third place we put an offer on, so this could very well be the transaction to which I was referencing one year ago.  Which still means our closing date anniversary is still two months away, but that, my friends, is another story...

I suppose I should sign off and get some housework done. My hubby is out of town this weekend, and I don't know why but I'm on a cleaning kick.  Actually, I do know why! Yesterday (Saturday), he had to be at the airport by 6:30-7am'ish for an 8am flight.  Bless his heart, he does believe in arriving way early so there is plenty of time to get through security and everything.  I grumble about it, but in my heart I appreciate it, too, because I tend to underestimate the amount of time needed to get places, and flying/going to airports heightens my anxiety three billionfold, so his foresight in planning is a blessing in disguise because the thought of missing a flight really sends my anxiety through the roof...but I digress.  The airport is about a 1.5 hour drive from our place, so we had to leave at 5am, so we got up about 4am, ON A SATURDAY mind you, and so by the time I got back home it was just before 8am.  Our Saturday morning Bible Study group meets (online) at 9am, and I didn't want to miss it, and I knew that if I sat down or laid back down I would fall asleep, so I started Doing Things.  Not normal typical things like the dishes or the laundry, I started Projects.  Like hanging up things on the walls. then I decided I was going to tackle the boxes that still need to be unpacked that are in the guest bedroom, which lead to some minor re-decorating in my office (since most of the things in the closet were framed photos).  Anyway, long story short, I ended up with one bag for the Goodwill, two bags to the garbage, a few more decorations thoughtfully placed throughout the house, and the huge satisfaction of ticking a long-standing project off of my To-Do list. Today I shall catch up on the housework I usually do on Saturdays, and I've already got a good start on that, and it's only 1:30pm!  Wow.  Despite being tired last night (because, hello, I had to get up at 4am!), I don't sleep well when the hubby isn't home, and last night was no exception. So today I somehow still slept in until about 10am, but I'm all groggy and discombobulated and feel like I should be cleaning and organizing instead of sitting here writing.  

So, with that, I leave you. For now.  See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment