Friday, November 26, 2021

I like to move it, move it.

 New places always make us look at life differently.

Ain't that the truth?! Actually, the above quote -- which I found by Googling "quotes about moving to a new place" -- sounds to me like it's meant to be more about travelling than moving to a new home.  But I don't feel like writing about travelling right now, and it fits both scenarios, so roll with me here.

The closing went off without a hitch!  That was on Wednesday afternoon.  We went to the closing with the truck loaded up with totes, so after the papers were signed we went to the new place and I worked on unpacking totes and cleaning the fridge while the hubby changed all the locks.  Then we went around and tried to figure out all the light switches.  ;)  Seriously!  This place has more damn light switches than anywhere I've ever lived.  I almost feel like labelling all of them until I get it figured out.  Almost.

I'm going out of order already. Wednesday morning, we got up early and went out to breakfast together, then went and bought painting supplies and picked out new colors for a few of the rooms, and picked up some more cleaning supplies and other stuff.  

Thursday morning we got up early again and brought more stuff over and unpacked.  Instead of putting everything in cardboard boxes, we're using heavy-duty totes, and then unpacking them right away so we can fill them up again.  It's actually working out better than I thought it would, because the totes fit together well and we don't have to collect cardboard boxes (or dispose of them afterward) and it also forces us to unpack right away. Mostly.  We only took one load over on Thursday, because we then took Thanksgiving Dinner (lasagna, salad, and breadsticks. And of course pies!) over to my parents' house.  My Dad went home from the TCU on Tuesday and things seem to be going very well so far!  

I'm going out of order again. It's been a busy week!  I took Tuesday as a PTO day so I could bring my Dad home and help him get settled back in.  That was an emotional day!  My Dad cried when we got there to pick him up.  He was in a wheelchair, not because he necessarily needed it but because it was easier to move him that way.  Honestly, the VAMC is a huge place and going anywhere involves a lot of walking.  So actually, I had both of my parents in wheelchairs, because my Mom (still being just three weeks status post hip replacement surgery) didn't feel up to doing all that walking, either.  It made me wish there was such a thing as double wheelchairs.  My Dad, who went to the VAMC wearing just a t-shirt, socks, and underwear, came home with three bags and two boxes of stuff.  I brought less than that home after birthing a baby...but I digress.  He looked great, and is moving around so much better than he did before. I just hope he keeps up with the in-home PT and moving around more at home so he doesn't get deconditioned again.

ANYWAY...today's Friday, right?  I'm so lost.  This morning we got up early again, and the hubby loaded up the tractor on the car trailer, and put some full totes in the truck, and headed over to unload the tractor and start painting while the boy and I worked on packing the totes, loading up the truck, driving to the new place, unpacking the totes, and then doing it all over again.  I'm feeling pretty accomplished, we got four loads taken over (one in the Equinox and three in the truck) today.  Got the stuff in the totes unpacked, too.  Not put away yet, because most of what we brought over today is stuff from my craft room, and I don't have any idea how I'm going to organize that area yet, but right now in my basement it looks like I'm having a poorly-organized rummage sale.  In my mind, I was going to have time to sort through all that before moving it to a new house, but oh well.  

The new place is starting to look and feel more like home, with a couple of glaring exceptions...we don't have any furniture over there yet!  We're moving the bedroom furniture over tomorrow, and haven't decided what we want for living room and dining room furniture yet.  We also need some bar stools for the breakfast bar/island.  And a couple of desks for the office, which we don't have but we know what we're getting -- just have to go to IKEA and buy them.  

So! That's what I've been up to lately.  Slowly emptying the place we called "home" for just over 17 years of most of our belongings, and hauling them all to a new place that feels like someone else's house right now.  Although that feeling fades by the hour when I'm actually there, as expected.  Tomorrow we'll start the first phase of actually living there, which will be a lot easier with the bedroom furniture moved over and the fridge full of real food (and not just Diet Dew and Arizona Green Tea).  

My main Deep Thought about the last few days' activities is that moving is a young person's game.  I am so sore! The kind of sore where if you stop moving for a few minutes, your muscles start to stiffen.  For the first time, moving things over a little at a time feels like it's just going to prolong the agony.  Alright, I'm exaggerating slightly; it's not agonizing.  It's not even pain as much as it is fatigue. Especially after today.  Which is also to be expected, I mean I have been pretty sedentary lately, so I really shouldn't complain.  I'm also highly motivated to get everything over there so I can start settling in, so it's really not a big deal.  

Except that it's also cold and I have my Winter Chill on already.  And yes, that deserves capitalization because it's a seasonal thing here in the upper Midwest, a sign that fall has fallen and winter is taking over.  It's that permanently cold feeling that gets in the core of your bones, when you realize that you're cold all the time but most of the time you don't even notice anymore, and no amount of layering seems to help.  In fact, the only temporary relief is taking a hot shower, as hot as you can tolerate.  This would happen whether we were moving or not, but it's been exacerbated this year by being outside so much already.  Oh, well.  Life goes on.

Speaking of which, I should go fill up some more totes.  A few days/weeks ago, I was feeling bad because I wasn't around here much to help with the packing and cleaning and such.  That feeling is gone now -- I feel like I'm caught up, ha ha ha.

Alright!  Thanks for reading.  I'm signing off now, because the cord for my laptop was moved to the new place already, and also because I really should go help pack more totes.  The sooner we get packed, the sooner it will be our new home and not just "the new place"!!  Toodles.


No comments:

Post a Comment