Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Soggy Spring

Somewhere between winter and spring lies that little-known season that is the bane of the existences of pet owners and anyone who lives on any parcel of land where green space > asphalt: Mud Season.

That's where we are right now.  The calendar says it's spring, the sky says it's winter, and the ground is just mud.  Except where it's still snow.  But it's not really snow anymore, it's snow and mud mixed together.  People are already complaining of allergies, thinking that the trees are already releasing pollen or something.  Nope.  That's the mold mixed in with the mud that's in the snow banks that are melting.  

Spring is here, but still feels so far away.  We have patches in our yard with no snow, but the grass beneath is brown and yellow and dirty, and you don't have to walk through it to know it's just all muddy.  And if you do have to walk through it, you better wear your boots (or shoes that you don't mind getting muddy) and have good balance.  Seriously.  That stuff's worse'n ice.  I'd rather fall on ice than in mud.

The water hydrant at the boy's house is still frozen, so I had to wade through ankle-deep puddles of water and mud to water the horses last weekend, while my favorite chestnut mare stood at the gate and watched with bored amusement.  She's lucky I love her so much.  She's also lucky that my awesome hubby bought me these amazing boots last winter that are warm and waterproof, and I can literally walk through anything in them and my feet stay warm and dry!  So the fifty begillion trips I had to make back and forth from the end of the hose to the horses' water tank to top it off, one 5-gallon bucket at a time, wasn't horrible because my feet weren't wet and cold.  Anyhoo, I figure the hydrant will thaw in about June, as it usually does.  Hopefully the mud will be gone by then.

I was at my parents' house yesterday, and their yard has, like, no snow in it.  I almost want to complain about how not fair that is, but I don't want to imply that I'd rather have a small yard in the city with no snow instead of acreage in the country with snow.  :D  

Speaking of my parents, my Dad had his last PT session yesterday.  He says he's going to keep doing exercises now so he doesn't regress again, and my Mom says she's going to make sure he makes good on that promise.  She's been good about doing exercises, too.  She only had one official PT session after her hip replacement last November, and they said she was doing so well she didn't need to come back.  They gave her more exercises to do and basically said to call them if she thought she needed more work.  So she's been doing those, and the ones they've given my Dad to do, as well.  Anyway, I hope my Dad really does keep up with those exercises.  Now that I'm going over there more often, I'll have to nag him about remind him why it's important to keep doing them as well.

In other news...I don't know, I just realized I hadn't written in here for a while and since I had a little lunch break time to kill, I thought I'd sit down and write and see what I came up with.  Didn't have anything in particular in mind to write about today.  Suppose I should get back to work now.  The sooner I get back to work, the sooner I can finish for today! Because it's one of those rare days where it actually works that way!  Ha, ha, ha. TTYL

 

No comments:

Post a Comment