Sunday, December 12, 2021

Just when things went right, doesn't mean they were always wrong...

Week 2, and the new place is starting to feel more like a home and less like a big, empty house.

I got in a mood last week and put twinkling Christmas lights up in the bay window. That definitely helped! I just positively adore Christmas lights.  It gets dark outside so early, it's nice to have a bit of light here and there.  And everything is so white and dormant outside, it's nice to have a bit of color and flashing, too.  Within reason.  I like lights around windows, maybe wound around railings, maybe around a tree or two outside.  I don't like the houses that have their roof lines outlined in lights and every window outlined in lights and light-up everything in their yards, and everything flashing and chasing and all that.  I like precisely placed strings of lights.  Precisely placed by ME, lol.  I can't explain it other than that.  I would have lights up all year round if I could, and sometimes I do (see also: the back deck at our old house).  

I think the kitchen is "done" meaning just about everything from the old house is moved over.  Things are pretty well organized and decorating is off to a good start.  The hubby and I cleaned the dishwasher last night -- I mean really cleaned it.  It was emitting a positively horrid odor every time I used it, so the hubby tore it apart and I cleaned this substance off of all the internal parts that can only be described as a slurry.  It reminded me of the episode of "How It's Made" (or maybe it was "Dirty Jobs (with Mike Rowe)" where they showed how bologna was made, and there was just this pink slurry of who-knows-what that the machines were churning out.  That is what the stuff that was stuck to the internal parts of the dishwasher was like, only worse because it wasn't pink, it was brown and grey and smelled horrid.  So hey, kids! Clean all the food off your dishes before you put them in the dishwasher, because those bits and pieces go somewhere

So, yeah, that was gross.  I have a pretty solid stomach for gross things (after all, I am a nurse and was a CNA before that!) so I was happy to clean it up, but I really wished I would've had gloves.  *cough* *gag*

Also in the "things you don't think about until you have to" department, we now have dining room furniture, too!  It really helps make the place look more like home.  And also, we're not hitting our heads on the chandelier above the table anymore, since there's a table under it. That's a nice bonus.  

We have living room furniture picked out, and most of it is supposed to be delivered later this week.  With all the horror stories about furniture orders being delayed until May or June, I was totally not enthused about furniture shopping.  One thing that turns me off about furniture shopping is the lack of immediate gratification; we spent hours and hours looking for just the right furniture (not even exaggerating, but that includes the time spent looking at stuff online to get an idea of what style we might like) and then we finally found it, but still have to wait for it to be delivered.  I don't do "waiting" very well, which I've read more than once is a sign of immaturity.  So be it, because that's how I am.

Anyway, as luck would have it, the living room set we both liked was mostly in stock.  The couch was the only thing delayed until March.  The loveseat, chair, and ottoman will be here in a few days, and I cannot WAIT!  It will be nice to actually use the living room as a living room!  And to have a soft, comfortable surface to chill on that's not the bed.  Don't get me wrong, our bed is super comfortable, too, but for sleeping and not for sitting on to watch TV.  

Speaking of TV, we have one of those in the living room now, too.  We were supposed to go pick up a thing to put it on...not an entertainment center, but more like a short credenza? IDK, I'm not good at proper furniture terminology.  But we found one we like about an hour away (thanks to FB Marketplace, which is also how we found our dining room set) and we were supposed to pick it up yesterday, but as you may already know, there was a big snowstorm here on Friday and we had to spend Saturday digging out instead.  Thankfully the seller is understanding and we rescheduled; but the hubby broke down today and set the TV up on a folding table.  

No, honestly! We only look like we're living in our first place.  We have nice furniture coming, it's just not here yet! 😁  In a week from now, this place will look completely different.  In a very good way!!

One thing I can't get enough of here yet is the view of the sunset.  I think I've posted half a dozen sunset pics on FB so far, but I can't help it! I'm a sucker for sunsets anyway, but this one is just amazing, the way the colors emerge from behind the trees when the sun sets down into the marsh.  It's breathtaking. It makes me feel like we're on vacation or something.  I can't believe it's in our own backyard.  See?


I know I'm biased, but I think it's gorgeous.  Especially now with the contrast of the white snow and the dark trees. 

On that note, I leave you.  Supper's ready!  And I want to make some banana bread after supper.  Having everything all nice and clean and organized makes me want to bake.  'Tis the season!

Later, gators.

No comments:

Post a Comment