Friday, July 23, 2021

C'est la vie.

True story: I'm the funniest person I know.  Are you kidding me? I'm freaking hilarious!  I crack myself up all, the, time.  I'm one of those people who reads my own texts, and laughs out loud.  Literally.  If I didn't have such stage fright, I'd seriously consider trying out as a stand-up comic.  

Alright, alright; maybe I'm not THE funniest person I know.  But I am pretty funny.  Good thing looks don't count for everything!

See? I can't turn it off.  😅

(And I don't really think I could cut it as a stand-up comic.  I couldn't take the rejection and the heckling.)

My joke for this week is: if you have a house for sale and aren't getting any offers on it, let me know!  My hubby and I will show interest in it, and I guarantee that someone else will show up and make an offer on it.  I mean, it's happened three times to us in the last few months now, so, I think it's more than coincidence at this point.

It's kind of funny.  We get a little bit closer every time.  The first time was at the very beginning of when we were trying to decide if we should look at other places or not.  We finally decided to take that leap and look at a place that we liked, and the day we contacted someone to see if we could look at it, we were told an offer had been accepted on it that day.  This place had been on the market (according to the info on the internet) for a good month or so, I don't remember exactly, but it's not like it had just gone up for sale that week or anything.  We laughed at our timing, chalked it up to "it wasn't meant to be," and moved on.

The second time, we actually made it to the showing, and we liked the place, but weren't struck with the "oh my gosh we HAVE to make an offer right now!" bug that day.  There were things we both liked, there were things he liked that I didn't, and things I liked that he didn't, and things we wanted to change, and we went back and forth about it for a good week or so before we agreed we should make an offer on it.  Then, guess what?  That horrible word, "Pending," showed up on the online listing.  At first I was like -- Oh, good.  Someone is getting a really nice home.  And then I went through a stage of, I really hope it falls through because I WANT THAT HOUSE!!  And now I'm back to, Oh, good. Someone is getting a really nice home, but it's not for us.  

This most recent time, I really thought was going to be It.  This is a place that, actually my friend sent the listing to me a few months ago, but it was out of our price range at that time.  Which was unfortunate because it sounded like an awesome place, and I might just be saying that because it was totally set up for horses 😍.  Nevertheless, it stayed on my radar, and recently the price dropped down enough so that it was actually in our price range.  Then, suddenly, the hubby was interested in it.  (OK, I know he might read this, so I will point out that I'm being slightly overdramatic. I mean, he is the realist in our relationship, so naturally it wouldn't have been on his radar until it met all (or most) of the criteria.)  We looked at it, and naturally The Realist was less impressed than The Horsey Girl was.  In his defense, he knows 59,000x's more about what makes a house a "good" house than I do, and apparently also cares more about layout than I do, which is totally fine.  I don't disagree with the points he makes about how a house is laid out or what makes one better than another at all.  There's a reason he's a construction guru and I'm a nurse.  ANYWAY, given a little time and conversation, we both agreed that it was a nice place, though; on paper, it had what we both wanted in a home, and it was a lot more acreage than what we have now, and we were ready to make that jump.  We just wanted one more in-depth showing to check out things we hadn't looked at the first time, and then assuming that all went well we were going to write up an offer.  We had/have a contingent plan for selling the place where we live now.  It just seemed like it was going to happen.  And then?  About three hours before the scheduled showing, our realtor messaged us that the showing was cancelled because the property had been sold.

Talk about a roller coaster of emotions!!  When I read that, I literally said, "Noooo!" out loud.  Luckily, I was in my office at work and I wasn't that loud, and no one really noticed.  Then, I felt a little heartbroken, even though I promised myself I wouldn't feel heartbroken if it fell through at any point. Then, I felt really guilty for feeling heartbroken -- like I was betraying our current home, or something.  I do like our current home.  The house itself needs some work, that's true.  But I love our land and all of our trees.  I was going to be sad to move to a place with hardly any trees and was already trying to figure out where to start planting more trees and when, if we moved to that other place.  

So, that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'm not saying that we're definitely not going to move now.  We're still looking.  Things change from week to week as far as what's available.  The last few weeks have been a whirlwind because it seemed like there were so many great places available that we had a hard time choosing.  This week, I feel like we've learned a lot, maybe raised our standards a bit, and there aren't as many choices.  But that's okay.  It's always changing.  Maybe we'll find a place, maybe we'll end up staying here.  We'll have this place paid off in a few more years, maybe the cost of building materials will be down by then and we can afford to build the house we really want.  You never know what God has in store for us.

On that note, I should get back to work.  TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment